Ripon Youth Baseball & Softball By-Laws
The name of the organization shall be “Ripon Youth Baseball & Softball”. For the purpose of these by-laws, Ripon Youth Baseball & Softball shall be called “Organization”.
The objective of this Organization shall be to implant firmly in the youth of the community the ideals of good sportsmanship, honesty, loyalty, courage and respect for authority, so that they may be well-adjusted, stronger, happier children, and will grow to be decent, healthy, and trustworthy adults.
To achieve this objective, this Organization will provide a supervised program. All directors, officers, and members shall bear in mind that the attainment of exceptional athletic skill or the winning of games is secondary, and the molding of future citizens is of prime importance.
The Organization plan for providing this objective shall be framed by the officers and directors of this Organization at their annual meeting to determine the number of leagues and teams as well as the player age limits for participation.
Any person sincerely interested in active participation to further the objectives of this Organization may become a member upon completion of the registration.
Player Members – Any player candidate meeting the requirements shall be eligible to compete for participation.
Regular Members – Any adult person actively interested in furthering the objectives of the Organization may become a member and is entitled to vote at the annual meeting.
Membership may be terminated by resignation or action of the Board as follows:
a) The Board, by a 2/3 vote of those present at any duly constituted Board meeting, shall have the authority to discipline or suspend or terminate the membership of any Member when the conduct is considered detrimental to the best interests of the Organization. The Member involved shall be notified of such meeting, informed of the general nature of the charges and given an opportunity to appear at the meeting to answer such charges.
b) The Board shall, in case of a Player Member, give notice to the coach of the team for which the player is a Player Member. Coach shall appear with the Player Member in the capacity of advisor, before the Board. The player’s parent(s) may also be present. The Board shall have full power to suspend or revoke player’s right to future participation by 2/3 vote of those present at any duly constituted meeting (quorum required).
Board of Directors Meeting
The Board of Directors shall meet as determined by the President. Date, time, location, and purpose of the meeting shall be delivered personally, electronically, or by mail to each member no less than five days in advance.
Special meetings of the Board may be called by the President, or in his/her absence, inability or refusal to act, by the Vice-President of the Organization, or by request of three members of the Board. Proper notice must be given at least one week prior to date and time of said meeting.
There shall be an annual meeting a minimum of once per year. Notice of the meeting, including date, time, location and purpose, will be conveyed via the Ripon Commonwealth Press and electronic methods at least one week prior to the date and time of said meeting. It shall be the duty of the Secretary to arrange for the paper publication, and the Information/Communication/PR Officer to update other electronic sites. Special meetings may be called by the Board of Directors provided the proper notice is given as indicated below.
At the annual meeting members shall be informed of and/or act upon:
a) The condition of the Organization, to be presented by the President or his/her designate
b) A general summary of funds received and expended by the Organization for the previous year, the amount of funds currently in possession of the Organization
c) The whole amount of real and personal property owned by the Organization, what was purchased, what may need to be purchased for the upcoming year
d) Determine the number of Directors to be elected for the ensuing year, nominate candidates, and vote for Director positions
a. Current Board members are not eligible to nominate themselves for positions.
b. Newly elected Board members shall assume the performance of their duties on the next regularly scheduled Board Meeting, and continue until its successors are elected.
Board of Directors Meetings – A quorum shall constitute one-half (1/2) of the members of the Board of Directors. A majority of the quorum shall be sufficient for the purpose of passing any items to be voted on at a Board of Directors meeting.
Board of Directors
There shall be a Board of Directors of no fewer than 9 and no more than 13 persons including the five officers.
If any vacancy occurs, it may be filled by a majority vote of the remaining Directors at any regular Board meeting or at any Special Board meeting called for that purpose.
The Board may appoint such other officers or agents as it may deem necessary or desirable, and may prescribe the powers and duties of each. Appointed officers/agents shall have no vote on actions taken by the Board unless such individuals have been elected to the Board by the membership or have been elected to fill a vacancy on the Board.
Examples may include, but are not limited to:
a) Concession Manager
b) Information/Communication/PR Officer
c) Field Maintenance
d) Fundraiser/Sponsorship Manager
The duties of the Board of Directors shall be as follows:
1. The management of the property and affairs of the Organization
2. The management of the Organization in accordance with these by-laws
3. Creating such committees as it may deem necessary to promote the programs of the Organization
4. Setting the time and place for its own meetings
5. Reviewing for approval any appointments by the President
The President, with the approval of the Board of Directors, shall have the authority to create committees deemed necessary for the proper operation of the Organization.
The election of officers shall be held at the annual meeting when vacancies exist or terms expire. The new officers shall take office at the next regularly scheduled Board Meeting, and shall hold until their term expires.
There shall be five officers duly elected for the purpose of administering the affairs of the Organization. These officers shall be: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Equipment Manager/Safety Officer. In addition to the five officers listed above, the Organization will also consist of seven to eight League Heads. All Officers and League Heads must be over the age of 18, are required to fill out an volunteer application, and must pass a criminal background check. The duties and terms of these officers shall be as follows:
1. Preside at all Board and Annual meetings
2. Serve as managing agent of the Organization
3. Maintain communications with league organizations
4. Ex-officio member of all committees
5. Assist Treasurer in preparation and submission of an annual budget to the Board
6. Term: 2 years, not to exceed a total of 6 consecutive years, with the ability to return after a 2 year absence from the President position
1. Presides in the absence of the President
2. Carries on such duties and assignments as may be delegated by the President
3. Assists in the organization of Opening Day ceremony and any other capacity needed
4. Assist Secretary in preparation of all forms to aid coaches and teams in the field
5. Term: 2 years
1. Maintain register of members and directors
2. Record minutes of all board and annual meetings
3. Responsible for sending out notices of meetings
4. Maintains all records of organizational activities
5. Prepare all forms to aid coaches and teams in the field
6. This is a paid position, $1,000 a year to be paid at the end of each year’s term
7. Term: 2 years
1. Safeguards all assets of the Organization
2. Properly disburses funds of the Organization in accordance with the authorities, restrictions and budgetary requirements authorized by the Board
3. Prepare an annual financial report for the Board and membership at the Annual Meeting
4. Maintains the Organizations books and financial records.
5. Assist President in preparation and submission of an annual budget to the Board
6. Ensure any funds contributed to the Organization are used in an equal manner among all leagues/levels/genders
7. Ensure all checks are signed by the Treasurer and another of the five officers as determined by the Board
8. Ensure an audit is conducted annually on the Organization and Concession accounts, to be signed off by the Treasurer and at least one other of the five Officers.
9. Term: 2 years
Equipment Manager/Safety Officer
1. In charge of all league equipment and first aid kits
2. Secure bids on needed supplies and equipment and make recommendations for their purchase to the Board
3. Find/create opportunities to provide a safer environment/equipment for participants and spectators
4. Develop and implement a plan for increasing safety of activities, equipment and facilities through education, compliance and reporting
5. Term: 2 years
1. Will consist of 2 league heads for each league, preferably one for each gender
2. Record all player transactions and maintain an accurate and up-to-date record thereof
3. Receive and review applications for player candidates and assist Secretary in verifying eligibility
4. Conduct evaluations, player drafts, and all other player transaction or selection meetings
5. Prepare the Player’s Agent’s list
6. Coordinate players and umpire clinics
7. Recruit coaches
8. Term: 1 year
The following positions are considered appointed officers/agents as stated earlier and shall have no vote on actions taken by the Board unless such individuals have been elected to the Board by the membership or have been elected to fill a vacancy on the Board. All must be over the age of 18, are required to fill out a volunteer application, and must pass a criminal background check.
1. Maintain operation of concession facilities
2. Organize the purchase of concession products
3. Collects and reviews concession related offers including coupons, discounts and bulk-purchasing opportunities
4. Organizes, tallies and keeps records of concession sales and purchases
5. Prepare an annual financial report for the Board and membership at the Annual Meeting
6. Assist President in preparation and submission of an annual budget to the Board
7. This is a paid position, $2,000 a year to be paid at the end of each year’s term
1. Set up and maintain official website and social media such as Facebook
2. Collect, post, and distribute important information on activities
3. Assist Secretary with communications for consistency
1. Responsible for the care and maintenance of the playing fields
2. Shall operate within the approved budget
3. Coordinate with the City regarding supplies and equipment used to perform required tasks to prepare fields
1. Solicits and secures local sponsorship to support league operations
2. Collects and reviews sponsorship and fundraising opportunities
3. Organizes and implements approved league fundraising activities
4. Coordinates participation in fundraising activities
5. Maintains records of monies secured through sponsorship and fundraising initiatives
6. Prepare an annual financial report for the Board and membership at the Annual Meeting
All coaches must be over the age of 18, are required to fill out a volunteer application, and must pass a criminal background check. Notification of coaching vacancies will be included with sign-up information in the Ripon Commonwealth Press and electronic mediums, listing all possible vacancies. Coaches shall be selected by the league heads and approved by the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors shall be the grievance committee to review action inconsistent with the objectives of the Organization. The Board will have the authority to reprimand, suspend, or remove of any coach. In the event the Board is recommending such an action against a coach, the coach must be notified in writing, of the meeting place, date, and time. The coach will be allowed to respond on his/her own behalf. The Board shall then consider the response of the coach in making its decision.
Amendments to the By-laws
These by-laws may be amended at an annual membership meeting by a majority vote of those members present, provided the annual meeting notice states the intention to amend and specifies the proposed amendments.
Approved and adopted on
January 15, 2012